For the past several weeks, I’ve been thinking about my One Little Word for 2017. If you’re new to the One Little Word idea (the brainchild of blogger Ali Edwards), the essence of it is this: you choose one word and rally around it during the year. And there’s something magical about it. The power of suggestion. The power of the mind. Call it what you will, but for me, if I make a concentrated effort to center my thoughts around a word or an idea, that word plays an active role in my life. Sort of a “dream it and it will happen” thing.
One Little Word can lead to big things.
This will be my third year, third word, and I’m looking forward to what the future holds.
One Little Words of bygone years…
For 2015, my word was focus. I chose focus because I wanted to concentrate on writing. Two years ago, I was thigh deep in book rewrites and determined to finish. And I did. Today when I go back and read the blog post I wrote about focusing, I feel such a sense of accomplishment. Would I have finished my book if my word had been sleep? Who knows?
In 2016, my word was grow. I chose grow because I wanted to grow professionally as a writer. Push myself. Move outside my comfort zone. And boy did I. As an introvert, a homebody, I grew as an author, a speaker, a solo traveler. My garden grew, too, because I spent some time working the beds. And ugh, I gained five pounds, so there’s that. Be careful what you wish for…
Hello 2017! I mulled around several words and always came back to those having to do with regrouping, restoring, or simply being. Enjoying the here and now. Because honestly, all that growth has worn me to a frazzle.
One Little Word…
Savor is my One Little Word for 2017. I want to slow down and spend more time writing in 2017, and I want to relish the present, the journey, the here and now. I’m in a good place and want to savor the small moments, the day to day grace. If 2016 brought anything, it was the reminder of how everything can change in an instant. Am I right?
In keeping with my One Little Word for 2017, here are a few simple ways I plan to savor the year ahead.
- I want to cook a new dish each week. I enjoying cooking, so this sounds incredibly do-able.
- I want to go on more mini-adventures. (Borrowing this idea from my friend Sarah.) There are still so many places in Northwest Arkansas that I haven’t visited. Maybe one a month?
- Enjoy tea time, as in have a cup of hot tea in the afternoons. I swear I feel better when I do this, especially when I drink green tea.
- To not multitask. To do one thing at a time and give each task space to spread out.
- Write. Journal. Create.
- On Instagram (@gracegrits), I’ll be joining Gretchen Rubin and posting a daily picture of something making me happy in 2017, i.e. something I am savoring. You can participate by tagging your picture #Happier2017! (Leave your Instagram handle in the comments, and I’ll follow you.)
Here’s to 2017 being filled with all the best sights, sounds, flavors, feelings, and when the year comes to a close, I hope to still taste it on my tongue.
Have you chosen a word for 2017, and if so, what’s your One Little Word?
Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life.
Let’s Start the New Year Right