Are You in a Book Club?
Since The Accidental Salvation of Gracie Lee released in January 2016, my book has been chosen for discussion by lots of book clubs around the country. This has been sooooo exciting for me and most surprising. When I can (and when I’m invited), I attend the book club meetings. So far, I’ve attended about sixteen in Texas and Arkansas, plus I have more scheduled this year.
Whether I attend or not, I’m usually contacted by the host and asked if I have an official list of book club questions. FINALLY, I have created a list of discussion questions for use in your book club meetings. Consider these simply as a jumping off point.
If you are a member of a book club, I hope you’ll recommend The Accidental Salvation of Gracie Lee!
I’ll attend if I can.
Plus, there’a always Skype!
Want to Start a Book Club?
If you’ve been thinking of starting a book club, do it! Book clubs fuel discussion, friendship, and expand your world well beyond the stories you read. Don’t know where to start? THIS ARTICLE from Lit Lovers includes great book club organizational tips.
Book Club Discount!
My publisher is offering a discount to book club members. Purchase books from SYP Publishing’s website using the code BOOKCLUB at checkout, and you’ll receive $3.50 off each copy. (Paperback or hardback!) Spread the word to your book club members and click HERE to take advantage of this offer.
BOOK CLUB QUESTIONS:
1) Gracie Lee lives on a cotton farm in rural Northeast Arkansas near the Mississippi River. How does setting play a role in the story?
2) At the beginning of the story, Gracie describes herself as an “old soul” saying she worries so much about the bad that she doesn’t enjoy the good. Why does she worry so much, and do you think she changes over the course of the book?
3) What social issues are at play in this story? How are these issues still relevant today?
4) The novel has several themes common to classic southern literature. Which do you feel is most prominent?
5) Discuss the Man in the Gray House. What role does he play in the story?
6) Discuss Gracie’s relationship with Brother Brown and vice versa. How does their relationship evolve during the course of the year?
7) Were there individual characters who especially impressed or surprised you?
8) What personality traits make Gracie Lee memorable? What does she want most in life?
9) How does time period (early 1970s) affect character behavior in this story? If this story had been set in the present time, what events may have played out differently?
10) Discuss the symbolism and significance of the hole in the floor at Boon Chapel and Gracie’s marble.
11) Discuss the novel’s connection to Eudora Welty.
12) With respect to Lee Abbott, what are his strengths and redeeming traits? How are he and Gracie alike? Different?
13) What elements of this book did you find especially memorable, humorous, or inspiring?
14) What do you think the title of the book means?
15) Do you think the story ends on a positive note? Why or why not?
16) Did any events in this book cause you to reconsider your childhood memories or experiences in a new light?
17) What elements of the story are timeless?
18) How would you describe the book in three words?
I hope you find these book club questions beneficial in your discussion of The Accidental Salvation of Gracie Lee. I’d love to hear from you and see pictures from your book club.
Talya Tate Boerner
Grace Grits and Gardening
Farm. Food. Garden. Life.
P.S. Don’t forget to do Amazon reviews of all the books you read! Reviews are very important to authors. Click HERE for a helpful guideline. Thank you!
Valerie June, Shakedown